Posted by Robert Van Horne on
1. Drain the tofu on paper towels, switching out the paper towels when damp and flipping the tofu on all sides.
2. Bring the dashi and Bachan’s up to a low simmer, then remove from the heat.
3. Move the tofu to a cutting board and cut into 8 even pieces.
4. Heat the oil to 350°F. While the oil is heating, evenly coat the tofu in potato starch or cornstarch, gently pressing to adhere. Shake off the excess.
5. Add the tofu to the hot oil and fry until light golden brown and crispy, flipping as needed, 2-3 minutes. Drain on a wire rack when crisp.
6. Divide the dashi evenly into 4 small bowls and add 2 pieces of tofu to each bowl. Top with sliced scallions and katsuobushi. Enjoy immediately!
1 block soft or medium firm tofu
1 cup dashi
2 tbsp Bachan's
1/4 cup cornstarch or potato starch
3 cups neutral high heat oil
sliced scallions, optional
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Serves: 4 People