Hot & Spicy Bao Bun
Posted by Lucas Mays on
1. Place the chicken thighs in a pot & cover in cold water, add the 1/2 tablespoon of salt & boil for 20 minutes.
2. While chicken is boiling, set up a bowl of ice, fill it with water & after the chicken is done cooking immediately place it into the bowl.
3. Take your mirin & rice vinegar and add sugar to taste. Mix until sugar is dissolved, then mix in your shredded cabbage and let sit.
4. Take another pot & boil a cup of water. Add a steaming pot on top with a brush of oil and add your steamed buns. Cover with lid & allow to steam until soft.
5. Take chicken out of the ice bath bowl & shred finely by hand, then place in a pan.
6. Bachan's Hot and Spicy Japanese Barbecue Sauce, fine ground black pepper & hickory liquid smoke to the pan & stir consistently at high heat for 5-8 minutes.
7. Open the steamed buns, then layer ingredients in this order: place miring-infused shredded cabbage first, then your Bachan's Hot & Spicy chicken in. Last, close the bun and garnish with wonton chips.
8. Plate, serve, and enjoy!!
Recipe in collaboration with Cross Hatch Eatery @crosshatcheatery
4 steamed bao buns
1 cup Bachan's Hot and Spicy Japanese Barbecue Sauce
½ tbsp salt
1 tbsp fine ground black pepper
½ tsp hickory liquid smoke
2 cups of shredded cabbage
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp mirin
2 cups wonton chips
2 pieces of boneless skinless chicken thighs
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Serves: 2 People