Posted by Ecomm Admin on
1. Make the curry roux: in a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. When melted, stir in the flour, combining completely, cooking, and stirring, until the flour bubbles and turns a light golden brown. Stir in the curry powder and cook, whisking, for 2-3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat up the oil over medium high heat and add the ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, until soft, but not brown.
3. Add the chicken to the pot and lightly brown, stirring as needed. Once the chicken is browned, add the onions, carrots, and potatoes.
4. Stir in the chicken stock, Bachan’s Hot and Spicy Barbecue Sauce, grated apple, tomato paste, and brown sugar. Allow the stock to come to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low.
5. Simmer, covered, for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes and carrots are tender.
6. Add the curry roux into the pot and stir until smooth. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the curry thickens slightly. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy with fluffy white rice.
1/4 cup Bachan's Hot and Spicy Japanese Barbecue Sauce
2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into 2 inch pieces
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1.5 tbsp curry powder, Japanese brand such as S&B preferred
1 tbsp neutral oil
2 tsp grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 small apple, peeled and grated
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp brown sugar
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes