Spicy Fried Tofu Musubi
Posted by Ecomm Admin on
1. Drain the tofu by placing on paper towels or clean kitchen towels.
2. Move the drained tofu to a cutting board and cut into 1/3 inch thick slabs, then cut each slab into thirds, making 1.5 x 2 inch rectangles.
3. In a medium, deep sided pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°F. While the oil is heating, evenly coat the tofu in cornstarch, gently pressing to adhere to all sides. Shake off the excess.
4. Fry the tofu in batches. Gently add the tofu to the hot oil and fry until light golden brown and crispy, flipping as needed, 2-3 minutes. Drain on a wire rack when crisp.
5. Add Bachan’s Hot and Spicy Barbecue Sauce to a small plate. Coat each slab of tofu in sauce on all sides, then transfer back to the wire rack to dry.
6. To make the musubi, lightly wet your hands with water and sprinkle your palms with salt. Take 1/4 cup of rice and use your hands to shape into a rectangle approximately the size of the tofu.
7. Top the rice ball with the tofu and wrap a nori belt around the middle. Repeat until all the musubi are made and enjoy.
• 1/2 cup Bachan's Hot and Spicy Japanese Barbecue Sauce
• 1 lb block firm tofu, cut into 1/3 inch inch slabs, then into 1.5 x 2 inch rectangles
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• neutral, high heat oil
• 6 cups warm short grain rice
• 6 sheets roasted nori, cut into 1.5” wide strips
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Serves: 6 (makes 24 Musubi)