Posted by Corey Loftus on
Yuzu Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 2
1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Add the tomatoes, onion, and garlic to an oven safe dish and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft and blistered.
2. Remove and cool slightly. Add to a blender or food processor along with the basil and puree until smooth.
3. Pour the puree into a medium sized sauce pot along with the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer over medium low heat until thickened to your liking. Immediately before serving, remove from the heat and stir in 2 tbsp Bachan’s Yuzu Barbecue Sauce.
4. While the soup is simmering, make the grilled cheese dippers: Place two slices of bread on a cutting board and top with shredded cheddar. Drizzle generously with Yuzu Bachan’s to taste, then top with the remaining bread.
5. Melt half of the butter in a large non-stick pan on medium low heat. Add both sandwiches to the pan.
6. Cook slowly on medium-low heat until golden brown and toasty. Cover the pan with a lid to help melt the cheese.
7. When golden and toasty, briefly remove the sandwiches, add the remaining butter and flip the sandwiches to grill the other side. When golden, remove from the pan, slice and enjoy with the soup.
2 tbsp Bachan's Yuzu Japanese Barbecue Sauce
1.5 lbs roma tomatoes, halved
1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lightly packed basil leaves
1 cup vegetable stock
4 slices sourdough bread
3 ounces shredded cheddar or cheese of choice
2 tbsp butter
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes